Left Header Right Header
 
History of the Minnesota Department of Corrections
 

1959
The Minnesota Department of Corrections was formed, combining the Youth Conservation Commission, the State Board of Parole and adult institutions formerly administered by the Department of Public Welfare. The Board of Parole was renamed the Adult Corrections Commission.

The Court Probation Act was enacted by the legislature. Counties were required to provide probation services to its juvenile court in one of three local optional methods: counties could establish their own probation services, contract with the state Department of Corrections for such services, or enter into joint powers agreements with adjoining counties.

The Juvenile Court Code was approved by the legislature defining jurisdiction of juvenile courts over delinquent, neglected, dependent and adoptive children.

The state acquired an abandoned Air Force radar site in Rochester for a new Youth Vocational Center.

1960
At the State Prison, a group of inmates was forced back to their cells by 150 bayoneted guards. In another incident, tear gas was used to quell a disturbance.

St. Croix Camp, the state’s third camp, opened. The camp was eventually sold to the Wilder Foundation. A new Ramsey County Workhouse opened in St. Paul.

1961
The legislature enacted the Probation Subsidy Act which provided a subsidy to counties for probation services. In return, probation officers provided services to wards of the Youth Conservation Commission who were residents of those counties.

The state’s fourth camp, the Youth Vocational Center, opened to receive youth 16 to 18 years-old for vocational training in automotive repair and food preparation.

1963
The Minnesota Reception and Diagnostic Center opened for juveniles and youthful offenders at Circle Pines. Authorized by the legislature in 1957, the facility was also the site of the children’s center for treatment of emotionally disturbed children operated by the Department of Public Welfare. The facility was managed by the state Department of Administration.

1964
The reception center at the Minnesota State Reformatory closed.

1965
Two inmates were murdered by two other inmates at a minimum-security camp operated at Moose Lake by the Minnesota State Reformatory. The perpetrators absconded, stole a car, and took a hostage, but were captured. The camp closed within two weeks of the killings.

1966
For the first time, boys were admitted to the Home School for Girls at Sauk Centre. In 1967, the legislature changed the name of the institution to the Minnesota Home School.

1967
The legislature authorized the state corrections department to operate a work release program. The statute authorized the corrections commissioner to permit screened inmates to work at paid employment or participate in community vocational programming.

AMICUS, which matches citizen volunteers in the community with inmates while they are incarcerated, was incorporated.


Offender work programs were authorized by the legislature in 1967

 


 

 

 

Minnesota Department of Corrections
1450 Energy Park Drive
Suite 200
St. Paul, Minnesota 55108

651-361-7200

DOC Icon